The prompt for poem 8 was
Write about a daily routine task
This was tough, because my whole day is
one continuous task.
It took me a while,but this is what I came up with.
I've decided it needs to set for a while and I will tweak later
I need to move on to 9 & 10 prompts.
Writing Wishes from Kellie
Part of a Day
I wake and rub my eyes
Look at the clock,
3:30 AM, oh my
Should I get up
or laze a while
My mind starts buzzing
from this days beguiling smile
I crawl out of bed and pet the dogs
No, I’ve shove them aside
and say, “Come on girls, get up
move those sleepy paws
I put on the coffee
it brews in the pot
I look out the window, wonder
a coat or not
The thermostat outside
says it’s cold out there
I decide on a coat to wear
Its 3:45, and still dark outside
I slide on my boots, and the three of us
The dogs and I, walk to the barn
I wonder as I slide the door open wide
will everything be all right once I enter inside
With horses, there could be a surprise
I feed, water, and give them a pat
Go back in the house
Apply makeup and do this and that
All done after a shower, which is must
Menopause makes the nighttime thermostat go up
It’s time for that morning
first cup of coffee brew
waiting hot in the pot
I take a sip then two
I turn on my computer
What should I write for today
A poem, a short story, maybe an essay
Jot an email, a letter, or funny little stuff
Maybe pay bills, update my blog
Or write poetry fluff
Then again maybe nothing but rambling mush
I write what I want
Then get on with my day
There is much to do
I make the bed
No more delays
Maybe I’ll rake the lawn
Or mow if the snow does leave
I want to till and plant
But the snow and cold insists take heed
There are orders to do
For the shop’s supply
Stalls to clean and to bed with pine
The barn floor needs a sweep
From mornings, hay carried down the line
I brush away winter hair
from the dogs, horses and cats
While cleaning the stalls
an Ah Ha comes at last
I write it down so I don’t forget it this time
I set it aside for tomorrows morning rise
Its almost 4 PM
where do the days go
It’s time to feed the horses once more I know
That makes three times for today
one more to go and tomorrow the same
Now at 5:30 time to close the doors of the shop
no wait, a customer has decided to stop
Its 6:15, supper awaits
The dogs are waging their tails
please give me food, my stomach aches
I watch the news and eat dinner too
Then take the dogs for romp
visit the horses again and watch them chomp
thinking, maybe I’ll take one for a ride
the days are getting longer
this makes me happy inside
The horses perk their ears
They like this idea of mine
Instead, I take my bike for a ride
The dogs stare out the window,
Watching me peddle my butt
they want to be going to run in the muck
The horses don’t care a ride was not planned
a pile of hay still in front of them stands
It’s 9 pm, maybe some TV I’ll watch
No, the peepers are peeping
The stars are bright
I go outside to watch the night
The dippers are there
as are Venus and Mars
My breath lingers, on the still cold air
Deep I breathe, in and out
clearing my soul, thoughts and cares
Why would anyone watch TV
when this particular show is free
I stretch and yawn, my back aches a little
Unloading a truckload of grain and bedding
will do that I know to a woman not twenty
but likes to think she is at fifty um, not telling
It’s 9:30
time to put the horses to bed
I throw them hay, check water twice
scratch their necks, kiss their noses
pat their heads, hug their necks
and turn out the lights
Me and the dogs
walk back to the house
Stopping for a moment
to be part of the dark
The peepers are loud
The coyotes howl
Calling each other, they’re on the prowl
I call the dogs “get back here you two
No hunting coyotes you silly fools
Its time for bed so let’s call it a night”
I check the clock
Its 10:15,
I relax in my chair,
thinking now, I’ll watch some TV
Maybe the news to see what I see
The TV is talking
my eyes start to droop
I nod off a bit
Go to bed you goof
I wake and rub my eyes
look at the clock
Its 3:30 AM, Oh My
Should I get up
or laze a while
My mind starts buzzing
from this day’s beguiling smile
© Kellie M Shanley 2009
No comments:
Post a Comment