Hello From Herbs & Things:)
I think that no matter how old or infirm I may become. I will always plant a large garden in the spring. Who can resist the feelings of hope and joy that one gets from participating in nature's rebirth?
~Edward Giobbi~
It's that time again...Garden
time.I'm excited and hoping for a better garden this year. I
am doing something different...trying raised bed gardening. My thinking it make things a little easier, plus my soil hasn't seemed to be producing as well
as it use too, but that could because I am not taking the time to till, feed and
care for it like I use to either. The infamous clay/topsoil, mix in this valley needs a
little help for growing certain things. It took about as long to make and fill
four 4x8 raised beds as it does to till and get the one garden
ready. And I'll be adding two more raised beds, to put in the potato and squash garden.
Actually it was very nice, my husband Rick had some rare few days off in a
row and he built the boxes and helped me fill them. This was definitely a treat
for me:)
I plan on growing tomatoes, strawberries, beets, carrots, beans,
maybe cucumbers and a few companion plants in the raised beds. Potato's, squash,
maybe corn in the ground garden and cabbage, turnip, parsnips in the raised beds. Time will tell on how I like the raised beds
:)
Some decisions are harder to make than others...but first I'd like to tell you Colden is starting their own Farmers Market. Sat May 19th in the parking lot of the Bread of Life Outreach center in the town of Colden NY. (the old Lady of the Sacred Heart Catholic church).
The decision...? As many of you know I've been at the Holland Farmers Market for four years on Sundays and I love everyone there, but I also have been a resident of Colden for almost 58 years and I feel I should support Colden, and the Bread of Life. Plus (Lady of the Sacred Heart) holds many memories for me as it does many people in Colden, and it feels enticing to spend time in the place Rick and I were married in 1977, where I made my First Communion and Confirmation. Where my nieces were baptized, made their first communion, and confirmation and one niece was married, as was my late sister and her husband in 1961.
With that said, what I've decided to do is...both Farmers market every other weekend, so selfishly not to fill up all my weekends. I guess I am getting a little lazy too, because this way I'll only have to take the shop apart every other week to pack and unpack.
So join us at the first Coldens' Farmers Market, Saturday May 19th 8am-1PM. Hope to see you there. I'll have teas, spices, maple almonds, Yancy Fancy cheese and curds, Spices in grinders, fresh garlic and other nice things and maybe fresh eggs, (if I don't sell them before then.) I'll also try to have herb and vegetable plants and later, some fresh vegetables, what ever is in season. If you have any ideas of what you'd like to see or buy at the Farmers Market please let me know.
Be
well
Laugh often
Love large
Dig in the dirt
Grow a garden
and may
the sun light your wayKellie
+
Herbs & Things
No comments:
Post a Comment