So often today, we hear more bad than good, of the world, the economy, and the ‘we weren’t like that when we were that age’ children.
When I had my 4-H group, the children kept me up to date of the greatness within a child’s soul. Their willingness to lend a helping hand, the wanting to do what’s right and their unshakable ethics of what friendship is about.
It’s been a while since those days and I don’t get daily reminders of the good in so many children. Especially being bombarded from media’s about what’s wrong with the children of today. That ADHD, ADD, selfishness, recklessness, bitterness and laziness are on the rise.
Personally, in this time of economic crisis, people losing jobs and homes, I think the media’s should shed more light on the good stuff.
I understand the importance of updates, warnings and savior from the bad things and that we all need reminding to be careful because, unfortunately, there is bad in the world. But wouldn’t showing more of the good out there help ward off the bad. You know one good deed, creates another.
Wouldn’t highlighting a child that has beaten the odds, making them a role model, rather than one that is beaten and angry, entice more to say, hey I can do that. Yes we must be made aware about the beaten and angry ones so that someone can help them beat the odds. But showing is doing.
Two things recently specifically reminded me of the good spirit in children. First, I had the privilege to help judge essays for the Joanne Champion Granger Scholarship.
I am amazed at what these kids have done, where they've gone and with these children I see hope for our future.
Then my goddaughter shared a troubling trend about a friend in her school that was having a bad time and had thoughts the world would be a better place with out them.
Immediately my heart was sad, that a child would think this of themselves. My Goddaughter’s thoughts were the same.
She wanting to help first told her mom, fearing for this friend. Then with no experience of what do next, but knowing in her heart she needed to do something, wrote down and express why this child is important to her and that it is worth living through the rough patches of life.
She wanted to let them know, when you think there is no one….that you have no friends…or no one cares…just follow the light and a friends hand will reach out…even in the dark tunnels of life.
This is the poem she gave to that friend.
The Light Of Friendship
Do not be sad,
for there is always light in the tunnel of your life,
to be found somewhere.
It may not seem so bright at first,
But with an open mind, eyes and a good heart
The Light Of Your Friends Will Always Find You.
Sabrina Sworts ….age 12
No comments:
Post a Comment