January 20th, 2009, all of us, will be a part of moment in history that generations’ after us will only be able to experience through reading history books or magazines.
I am proud of this historical moment, after growing up in the 60’s turmoil’s, feeling helpless while listening to the riots on the radio, that our country has started to grow beyond the color of a person’s skin, defining who they are.
I have to admit though, there is conflict within myself, when I see Barack Obama on TV, in the news or hear him on the radio. My mind and intelligence, knows the weight and monumental moment of this inauguration, but my heart sometimes questions why, should this be any different from any other of our leadership changes.
Before you get upset with me, let me explain the dilemma of my heart and mind. Remember I do understand the historical value of January 20th 2009 and I am proud to be part of it.
The fight between my mind and heart is because I do not see Barack Obama, as a black man, African American, colored or any of the tags put on the color of the skin. I see him as a man that loves his country more than I can comprehend. I see him as a man, committed and willing to take the responsibility of the job of President of the United States of America. I see— not a black man —but a Man— that loves his family and the rights of all people and the freedom of living in America.
I know I would not want the job. Nor do I know many people who would want it either, especially during this time of economic chaos and terrorism tapping at our back doors.
Personally, I feel the problems and dangers that will follow our 44th president will be three fold to those who have served before him. I’m sure he understands this too. Yet, there he was wanting and fighting for the job.
What I see is a man that every day, will put his life on the line for us, and our country. What I see is, a man, that everyday will be risking his own well-being, wanting to do this not only for his family but our families and the future families to be.
This is why I say,—this man— Barack Obama, truly loves this country. Why else would he want to take on the challenges, sacrifices, and danger of this job,( knowing that some will not see him just as a man), running head on into a inferno, much like a firefighter who rushes into a burning building thinking not of his own life but the lives inside, he wants to save. The lives I see that Barack Obama wants to save are the fighting soldiers, the children of the future and the lives of all of us today.
Many say he is to inexperience, but maybe his inexperience is a ticket that will make him run fast into the inferno, because he knows no better. It might be that untested love for this country that will make him run faster than those before, willing to take risks others would not, only to emerge on the other side, with minimal burns, consequently saving those inside the inferno.
As always, time will tell and though, Barack Obama, I did not vote for you because of your inexperience, you have my support and to you— the man, husband, father, son, and 44th President of the United States of America, I wish you well and may God keep you and your family safe.
No comments:
Post a Comment