Thursday, January 13, 2011

Part of Herbs & Things email...Fountain of Youth?

Every one has heard about the fountain of youth and would like to jump in.


I've learned where to find the fountain of youth without traveling to foreign countries. It's as simple as keeping what you've acquired while spending time nature for any length of time, with you.

Here's what happened. I was taking the dogs for their walk on a snowy day last week. I went to the 'Fairy Garden' near the Wheel. In that garden along with the Pines are Apple Trees. One particular Apple Tree caught my attention with a limb that swoops down making a perfect sitting spot within that tree.

I sat there, watching the snow flakes being carried at a slight angle by a breeze and listening to that same breeze sing through the Pines. I could hear the birds at the feeder at my back, and it was in that quiet time, I recalled a couple conversations I'd had with friends during the week. One friend said she at 46 put on her leggings, went outside, and laid in the snow under some trees and just was. Her words to me were, "I felt like a little kid and did not care what the neighbors thought and it felt good".

I had just done about the same thing lying on the Fairy mound, in the snow like a child, watching the snow fall and waft through the trees. As the snow flakes landed on my cheeks I stuck my tongue out trying to catch some snowflakes, remembering what they taste like to a child. After which, I got up, did a little dance of joy in the snow, and looked up in the trees and again felt like a small child next to their tall stature. That's when I eyed the welcoming arm of the Apple tree, and sat in its cradling comfort.

It was there in the serenity of the moment, the light went on. The fountain of youth is that child that visits you for 20,30,40 minutes at age 46, 56 or 63 as you lay in the snow, make snow angels, or do a hair-do with your grandchildren and go to dinner like that....that will keep your inner child alive as you re-enter your adult world. By merely allowing that child from the past to be part of your now adult life is what keeps you young and get this...grounded.

So go out in nature, hike, sit, play in the snow, walk IN the puddle not around it. Splash in the creek, swing on a swing, do it all...and you will have found the fountain of youth and it will make you feel good.

No comments:

Post a Comment