The feelings of dismay and helplessness I feel, regarding the oil slick growing and drifting in the Gulf of Mexico reminds me of a poem I wrote a few years ago. http://herbsandthingspoetrypage.blogspot.com/ Though I try to understand the surmountable devastation on the wildlife and food sources, I'm not sure I can think on that big of scale. The effects I can only imagine its having on the Seafood, salts and other healthy food choices, that eventually might be dangerous to human health, Might be?...how could it not, is distressing.
Gulf fisheries are some of the most productive in the world and to think of the toxins that will infiltrate the sea life, minerals and greens is overwhelming. How ironic too, that we are told to eat more fish, that sea salt is healthier and that's what we should consume, rather than meats or preservative laden spices, yet here another natural source of healthy food is contaminated once again by humans.
I know we have to change our way of life, but my helplessness comes from I don't know all I can do and also my dismay comes from knowing that I too contribute to destruction of our scared earth. It’s hard to make change, but somehow, some way, I am going to try to start using my vehicles and fuels even less.
I ponder, the horses...do I need to learn to utilize them more, learning the old ways of plowing and gardening. I ponder too, now that I've been instructed to build a medicine wheel on land that is abundant with waters and grows with life quickly, how will I keep it groomed without mowing as often so people can enjoy its wealth of spiritual nourishment. I guess I am going to need a lot of ground covering plants and shady trees…and what else, I don't know. So let the research begin and let the voices speak...guiding me in what to do.
Only a few moments after writing the above paragraph, my minds eye said, Kellie, search Native American Nature equivalent to Noah’s Ark (I'll explain later of where the Noah's Ark scenario came from). This search, led me to, first about growing wild rice then to a list of 28 plants that do well in wet, boggy areas and running waters...the area where the medicine wheel and meditative gardens are going...(raising of the eyebrows...blink, blink... in awe once again. I asked, they listened, I heard.)
No comments:
Post a Comment