Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Thanks Mom and Dad

My mind’s been full of all sorts of things to share this week. But it’s the frequent thoughts of my parents, who are both gone for a while now, I feel I’m suppose to share.

Allow me to take you to my world in the early to mid 1960's. Though I didn't realize it at the time, my dad was a healer and my mother a spiritual liaison. Actually I'm not sure if they knew it either. Its only within the past few years I've realized they were ahead of their time in their thoughts on healing the body and living life. Like the time mom and I went to the New York World’s Fair, we were standing and listening to the beautiful rhythm of native drums (can't remember the pavilion) when she told me, "let music fill you and it will help carry your thoughts and prayers to the heavens Kellie."

It wasn't long after that, I felt it odd but was not embarrassed, when mom took me on an excursion to Canada, so she could receive an acupuncture treatment. It was that day I learned what acupuncture was and that most people knew nothing of it. How the heck did she find out?

Around age 11-12, though I thought it a little silly, when she tried yoga and meditative ways, I was left intrigued by the practice of both, but never let on that I was.

She and my dad talked often of alternative medicines and spiritual beliefs, but did not pursue them because of the stigma attached to them at that time, but it was normal for us to practice them and use a few of the 'old wives tales' remedies that actually worked. Such as my dads none medicinal cure for in-grown toenails. After months of going to the doctors for hers, and no relief from the infection pain, finally, my mother let my dad work his magic and was never bothered by them again.

During those times, my mother tried to get me to pursue what she called my physic ability, which I bucked, thwarted, and put in the back of my mind because then I thought it too hokey, plus it scared me, especially the day when I was 19-20 yrs old and my grandmother came to me and told me in no uncertain terms she was not pleased with my purchase of my new motorcycle and that I was going to get hurt. She was right. I totaled that motorcycle when a guy ran a stop sign. I was lucky, no wait, guarded because something told me to slow down just before it happened, if I hadn't, he would have run me over.

My father, was naturally gifted with the ability of dowsing, by using the boom of his backhoe to find water. He didn’t know how he was doing it, just that he…could …then he’d find water in places where no one else could for someone’s water well.

In 1969, my dad took me for my first chiropractic appointment when chiropractic care was not considered a medical treatment. He believed the mind and body to be one, and if all is balanced, the mind could help the body heal by using positive quiet thoughts or at least get it through a difficult time. This way of thinking helped him live through a body changing tragedy at age 20 when he should have died, and later on living with Lupus longer and with less medication, than anyone anticipated he would.

I've come to realize too, they've paved my alternative road and given me the ability to learn more in these areas of healthful living. Therefore, I guess it fitting, and my destiny that I follow suit. Not only to learn more about those things considered, weird then, but to learn of all the things they wanted to know. I think they are telling me in all my thoughts of them lately, they are happy that finally after years of keeping my inner self to myself, I am (though I've always known who I am) more aware of who I am, the abilities I have and that I am embracing them, though I am still a fledging where all are concerned.

Thanks Mom and Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment